Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Tuesdays are the worst

So I'm back to hating my job again today.  It didn't take long from the point where I thought things were going ok (last Friday when they offered me regular full time employment) to me wanting to quit again.  I had a general feeling of unappreciation today, starting pretty much from the minute I got to work.  I should have known it was going to be a bad day just because it's Tuesday.  Tuesday's are always the worst days of the week.

To begin, my parents called me downstairs this morning after I get out of the shower.  They said that "I have to come down and see this".  My immediate thought was that I probably didn't want to see whatever was down there.  But I headed down the stairs anyway.  I got to the bottom and I heard my dad say, "Don't let it get in the kitchen."  There's another red flag.  Whatever I'm supposed to be looking at is something that is alive and shouldn't be in the house.  I started thinking about what's been in the house recently.  A squirrel?  Nope, it's not a squirrel.  A bat like at the old house?  Nope, not a bat either.  It's a mouse.  The cats had been playing with it all morning.  They were actually batting it across the wooden floor to each other before I came downstairs.  That's what I wasted 5 minutes of my morning with.  Because of this, my entire morning routine was off and I ended up forgetting to put make up on.  Luckily I had some eye liner and eye shadow in my purse, but I wasn't able to cover up all the wonderful zits on my face.

I got into work and things were fine at the beginning.  Then a coworker came up to me and proceeded to tell me how she's sorry that she didn't give me credit for a document that I created, which she had sent out to all the departments to use for presentations.  Awesome.  I spent at least 30 minutes to an hour creating this template document and I was going to present it during our department's presentation, but now everyone has it and probably thinks that this coworker created it.  Great.  The day was getting worse and it wasn't even 8AM yet.

As soon as my supervisor got in there were double the amount of tasks for me to do because she likes to dump things on me.  I guess that's part of my job, but still, it sucks.  So, first off I had to fight with the guy we bought our PA system from earlier this month.  The one we ordered was out of stock and we had to figure something else out.  Of course I had to fight with the guy about it.  Then, there was a worker's comp case that happened late yesterday.  I had to figure out how to file a claim and deal with that shit.  Somehow it was after 10 once I figured some of that out.

The next bit of underappreciation came from the temp who started last week.  She had to update a contact list with people from each department.  It was updated to reflect this person who was hired late last month but my name wasn't updated and I started two months ago.  I mentioned that to the temp and she was like, "Well I just updated it."  Well you didn't do your f-ing job properly, so do it again.  I don't care if it makes you look incompetent.  We've all had those moments so suck it up.  Of course, I never said any of that to her because I'm not confrontational.  So I'm sure it'll never get done.

In the afternoon, during my meeting with my boss I asked about my newly acquired benefits of vacation time and personal days.  According to the policy, if you're hired before September 1 you get 3 personal days, but if you're hired after you only get 1.  I was hired as a temp before the date, but my change in status came after, so I wanted to see which date they'd use to determine my personal days.  Of course they use yesterday's date so I only get 1 personal day for the rest of the year.  Same goes for vacation: I only start accruing hours starting yesterday.  That means that I've accrued about a half hour of vacation time.  Super.  It's like I didn't even exist in the company for the first 8 1/2 weeks. 

Finally, after my meeting with my boss I find an email from the assistant in a different department.  It states that every year there is a "Girls Night Out" and gift exchange, presumably between all the assistants (which technically I'm not - my title has been changed to HR Associate thanks to my whining).  Apparently my supervisor volunteered me into organizing this shit.  Awesome.  Thanks so freaking much.  Now I have to organize an event I care next to nothing about, nor want to be a part of.  I also will have to be involved in a gift exchange with a bunch of 30-somethings who are absolutely nothing like me.  This happened with 20 minutes left in my day.  There were also two new tasks left on my desk for me to do before the end of the day too.  Thanks.  One more reason to be pissed at the world. 

So the end of the day came and I thought I could just go home to commiserate.  Nope, wrong again.  My mom calls (for the second time after leaving me a voice mail) right before I'm about to leave work.  I answer and she wants me to meet her and my dad at a car dealership a little further south from where my office is.  I figure I could probably get a free meal at a restaurant out of it so I said I'd meet them there.  I got to the car dealership 10 minutes before they get there and then, once they got there, I spent 5 minutes looking at the car they're interested in before my mom says that I can go home if I want.  No dinner?  Nope, there's soup on the stove at home.  Great.  So not only did I drive 10 miles out of my way to look at a car for 5 minutes, I have to cook something for myself when I get home.  I get home about 45 minutes later than I normally do, the animals are practically gnawing on my ankles for their dinner which was a half hour late, and I have to find something that I'd actually want to eat for dinner.

And apparently Jordan Staal fought someone in the game tonight, which is conveniently on NHL Network, a channel we aren't subscribers for.  Thanks life!  I owe you one!  I think I'll be going to bed before 9 tonight just to make the day end that much sooner.  FML.

No comments:

Post a Comment