Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Hump Day

Wednesday, January 13, 2009

Today is not a good day, but then again the number 13 isn't usually seen as a good omen.  Today started off okay, but that only lasted until I had to get out of bed.  On the bright side, I got to stay in bed for an extra 45 minutes.  Once I got up however, everything went to shit.  I got in the shower at the tail end of my dad showering downstairs.  For any normal person, this would mean that you'd be okay as long as you took a quick shower.  Not when dealing with my dad.  Much like everything else in my dad's life, nothing is worthwhile unless you use it/do it to the extreme.  This translates to my dad using every drop of hot water in the tank before getting out of the shower.  When I got in, I had only the hot water turned on and I still got goosebumps and chills.  Throughout the 5 minutes I was in there, the water quickly turned frigid.  Right before I was done though, the water pressure returned to normal and then I had even more cold water sprayed on my.  Super.  That wasn't that bad though because I was kinda expecting it.  The thing that gets me is that my dad must do this daily (run through all the hot water) but normally I shower first in the morning.  So today he used up the entire hot water tank by himself.  I can't remember the last time the water was turning cold by the time I got out of the shower.  It's so wasteful and frankly, there isn't that much to do in there.

So things are going okay at this point in the day.  Not awesome, but okay.  Then I leave for the doctor's office and things go great for once.  I hardly had to wait, things are fine with me (even though the doctor was condescending and acted like I was a waste of her time).  My appointment was at 8:40 and I was out by 9.  Write this day down in history because I don't think I'll ever have a doctor visit go that smoothly ever again.  So I'm on 79 in Wexford at 9:00 and figured I could get to work by 9:30 or 9:45.  Canonsburg is less than 30 miles down the highway, so I figured I could make good time.  Everything is going great for a bit.  There are hardly any cars for me to have to yell at, I'm singing Taylor Swift, enjoying the fact that work started an hour ago and I wasn't there.  Then I get past the S bends and the traffic sign says that there was an accident at mile 55.1 and the right lane is closed.  Expect delays.  Of course, Canonsburg is beyond that point and the only exits before that are Robinson, 376 into the city, and Carnegie.  The first two are out because there is no way to get to Canonsburg from there without driving all over.  Carnegie is out too because I would probably get lost and end up on Dick Street like I did on Sunday.

(Quick story: John and I were trying to get back on 376 from Campbell's Run Road in Robinson on Sunday and kept missing the exits.  We ended up in Carnegie and I made a bad turn.  We saw a guy who looked like Xhibit and I thought we were going to die for a second.  I then looked up at the street sign for where we were and it said Dick Street.  I laughed for a while at that.  Okay, end of story).

So I stay on 79 and I wait it out.  I got in the left lane because I figured the right lane would still be blocked and I'd need to get over eventually anyway.  I, of course, made the wrong decision.  Traffic was at a standstill right after the 376 onramps.  3 solid lanes of traffic plus the 4th lane that exited to Carnegie was slow too.  The lanes were backed up for about 4 solid miles and I was in the thick of it.
  • Problem #1: I chose the slowest lane to be in.  Granted it was only slightly slower than the middle lane, but it was still the slowest.  The cars in right lane seemed to just fly by (and when I say fly by, I mean go more than 5 mph).  I hated all the people in that lane.  And it was a lot of people since they seemed to move along just fine.
  • Problem #2: Smoker in the lane next to me.  I didn't change the setting to re-circulate the air in the car quick enough and had to breathe in their filth for a bit.  Not the biggest problem, but I was annoyed and stuck where I was.  On top of being a nasty smoker, the jerk was this guy wearing black and white striped gloves.  I thought it was a girl until I pulled up next to the pile of shit and saw the truth.  Now I just fell kinda sorry for him for being retarded.  Those gloves are probably the reason he smokes.  Terrible decision making such as that might drive me to smoke too.
  • Problem #3: The Durango in front of me likes to merely take his foot off of the brake when traffic decides to move instead of *gasp* using the accelerator.  Wouldn't be much of a problem except that my car idles with more speed than his so I have to constantly ride my brakes so as to not rear end him.  I wanted to blow the horn at him, but I refrained because I didn't want to be that asshole.  I was also tempted to drive over into the left shoulder of the road and pass him at one point because there was a space about 5 car lengths long between him and the car in front of him.  Oh wait, make that 4 car lengths because someone took advantage of his laziness and got in front of us.  Meanwhile my brakes are ready to quit and I'm pretty sure I developed a new ulcer in the 45 minutes it took to go 3 miles.  I should have known better than to stay behind this clown when I saw him stop his vehicle, get out and take off his coat.  He was obviously in it for the long haul and in no kind of rush to get where ever he was going.  Bastard.
  • Problem #4: There is no evidence of an accident by the time I get to mile 55.  Call me sadistic, but I better see some wreckage if I am forced to wait 45 minutes to go a distance that should take 5 minutes at most.  I need some sort of justification for the hold up, but alas there is nothing.  There was a broken tail light in the left lane about a half mile before everything cleared up so I guess I have to blame the entire incident on that.
So about 10:15 I'm cruising off of 79 with the hope that I can clock in at 10:22 and get time as if I got here at 10:15.  I fly through Canonsburg, park the car, and practically run into the building.  I turn the computed on, log in, and open internet explorer up.  It's 10:21 and the computer is grinding away.  There is still hope that I can get in there before 10:23.  The website loads up and I click on the time clock link.  My computer is saying it's 10:22; less than a minute to get the extra time!  I log into the time clock sire and the time stamp needs to load.  I fidget in my chair, glancing back and forth from the "Loading Time Stamp" message to the clock on the computer over and over again.  Finally, the time stamp loads... 10:23.  Fail.  Now I'll get credit for time as if I had punched in at 10:30.  I punch in dejectedly, stop hurrying, and settle in for a shitty day.  You better believe I waited until 5:38 to punch out this evening so I got credit for working til 5:45.  Screw you Kronos... two can play that game.  This isn't over.

Oh well, that's the rant of the day.  Game's on: 1-0 Pens over Flames halfway through the 1st.  Go Pens.

No comments:

Post a Comment