Thursday, November 12, 2009

Coworkers are so weird

At my office, I'm in a cube that's near a stairwell, so I see a variety of people passing by throughout the day.  There is also a little sink next to my cube where there is a coffee pot set up.  There is a group of people who have a coffee club and you have to bring in coffee making supplies to drink the coffee.  I get to hear all about the ins and outs of the coffee club since I'm right there, and let me tell you, it is bizarre.  First off, someone who is not in the club came around one day last week and poured himself a cup of coffee.  Oh boy, did this stir up the club.  They made a big deal about it by making overly loud comments about having a club and blah blah blah. It was funny, but hardly necessary.  Then again, if I was in the club, I'd probably be bitching too.

The next incident happened more recently.  The club grew by a member and this person brewed a pot of extremely strong coffee one morning.  The other members could not drink the coffee, so someone made a comment to the new member saying they were banned from making the coffee.  Instead of taking the joke like a normal person, this individual defected from the club and brought in their own mini coffee pot the next day.  In addition, this person defended their coffee making skills and made a big deal about the fact that no one else wanted to drink strong coffee.  This person also mentioned to anyone who would listen about how they were making their own coffee from then on.  It's ridiculous.  This person didn't drink caffeine for a long time and recently returned to drinking coffee.  Members of the original coffee club now want to sabotage the strong coffee drinker by putting decaf in the pot.  It's going to end badly, I can just feel it.  Granted, it's funny to sit on the sidelines and fuel the fire at times, but they are taking this a little too far by messing with the new coffee pot, I think.  Whatever, these are the stupid things that go on at an office. 

Today was kinda a ridiculous day.  I spent 75% of the day either working on, sitting through, or giving a presentation.  There were two different meetings with the same material and I spent the morning finishing up the PowerPoint and then from 1-4 I was setting up and sitting through the meetings.  I also had to present some of the slides, which was special.  The meetings were for all the department heads so at least I got a little more visibility with them.  Hopefully I didn't sound like too much of an idiot. 

But while I was busy with the meetings, people still asked me questions and were expecting (more like demanding) immediate answers.  By the end of the day, one person who asked me a question in the morning asked if she should get the answers from my supervisors.  Uh, wrong thing to send me bitch.  First off, give me a freaking day to answer your dumbass question.  Would you rather have an immediate and incorrect answer or have me take the time to find you a quality answer?  Secondly, if I wasn't able to answer your question within the short time period you expected it, what makes you think my supervisors would be able to?  Do you honestly think they have more time to spend on asinine benefits questions than me?  As a manager and a VP, they certainly have all the time in the world for you, whereas I, lowly associate, is much too busy.  Right....

Then there's my favorite person up in Payroll who seems to think that he can dump all his stupid busywork onto me.  But not only that, he expects me to understand messages he sends me that reference emails from my predecessor.  Uh, hey buddy, guess what.  I can't read your f-ing mind.  Not only that, I can't read my predecessor's mind from 6 months ago (shocking I know).  You can't expect me to understand your cryptic messages and convoluted explanations as to what you want.  Freaking ridiculous.  Not only that, he waits until after 5 to call me because "he knows that I have to be there late this week because of a doctor's appointment".  Please don't remind me that you know too much about my life outside of the office.  Seriously, you're not my dad, you don't need to know about my doctor appointment.  The only reason you know is because I know that my boss wouldn't have been able to adjust my schedule with the time clock appropriately.  Ugh, I'm so done with working in an office.  People need to stay the f out of my life.  Blah, welcome to the real world I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment